Dr. Berg small logo

Home / Body Conditions / Rid Your Back Fat The Fastest Way

Rid Your Back Fat The Fastest Way

author avatar Dr. Eric Berg 01/03/2020

How can you get rid of your back fat fast? That’s what we’re going to talk about today. Many of you are frustrated with stubborn back fat. Maybe you’ve been on a diet and exercise plan for a while, and you just aren’t seeing the full results that you want to. There’s a reason why this happens, and I’m going to help you boost your fat loss—and rid your back fat—with these simple tips.

In this article, we’re going cover:

Woman in blue jeans pinching back fat | Rid Your Back Fat The Fastest Way


The Three Types of Fat

Most people get frustrated when they start on a new weight loss plan when they don’t see the results. Maybe your goal is to get rid of fat in your midsection, but your body looks exactly the same after weeks, months, or even years of dieting. The truth is, you probably are burning fat, it’s just not the type of fat you want to burn.

  1. Liver fat - This is the type of fat that builds up in your liver. When you start on a weight loss plan, this is the first type of fat that you’ll burn. Unfortunately, you won’t see much change to your figure as you burn liver fat, and you won’t start to burn your back fat until it’s gone.
  2. Visceral fat - After you’ve burned your liver fat, you will begin to burn visceral fat. This is the fat that is around your organs. Visceral fat is the type of fat that really increases your risk for serious health problems, like cardiovascular disease and type II diabetes. To start losing significant amounts back fat, you have to burn off this fat first too.
  3. Subcutaneous fat - Finally, once you’ve burned off your liver and visceral fat, you can really start burning the type of fat that builds up in your midsection—subcutaneous fat. Subcutaneous means “underneath the skin.” This is the fat right under the surface of your skin that results in back fat, a saggy belly, and cellulite. I have some good news and some bad news. The bad news is that you will see very minimal results when it comes to back fat until you burn the first two forms of fat. This can take very a long time even with a healthy diet. The good news is that there’s a certain technique you can use to burn all three of these types of fat extremely fast.

Clock, plate, and silverware on blue table | Rid Your Back Fat The Fastest Way


How to Rid Your Back Fat The Fastest Way Possible

So how can you get rid of back fat fast? Many of you are already doing the ketogenic diet to lose subcutaneous fat. So you might be wondering, isn’t keto the best way to get rid of back fat? The answer is actually no.

Although healthy keto can help, it’s not the fastest way to get rid of stubborn back fat. In fact, very few people will lose all of their back fat using keto alone. The fastest way to get rid of back fat is intermittent fasting. That’s right; intermittent fasting is even more critical than keto when it comes to getting rid of subcutaneous fat. However, if you do both keto and intermittent fasting, your results will be even better.

About 80% of the population would be able to get rid of their back fat if they did intermittent fasting for 18 hours a day. The other 20% will need to do 20-23 hours of intermittent fasting.


How to Use Intermittent Fasting to Get Rid of Back Fat

The best way for most people to get rid of back fat is to fast for 18 hours each day and consume all of their meals within a 6-hour window. It doesn’t necessarily matter at what time you start and end your fast, as long as you fast for 18 consecutive hours.

For instance, you can consume your meals earlier in the day and start fasting in the late afternoon, or you can skip breakfast and start eating later in the day.

I find that skipping breakfast is the easiest way to do an 18:6 fast. For this method, you can have your first meal around 12:00 pm, and your final meal of the day before 6:00 pm.

However, if this doesn’t work, you may be a part of the 20% of people that need to take more extreme measures by doing a 20:4 fast or a 23:1 fast. An example of a 20:4 fast is consuming your first meal at 3:00 pm, and your final meal of the day before 7:00 pm.

A 23:1 fast is also known as an OMAD (one meal a day) fasting plan. As the name suggests, you simply eat one large meal each day.

Woman on exercise ball trying to lose back fat | Rid Your Back Fat The Fastest Way


How to Get the Most Out of Intermittent Fasting

As you start fasting, use these tips to boost your fat-burning potential:

1. Avoid Calories During the Fasting Window

During your period of fasting, you need to avoid anything with a substantial amount of calories. For instance, a handful of almonds as a snack would be off-limits during your fasting period. However, you can get away with very small numbers of calories, like a touch of half and a half in your coffee.

You can have any fluids that are calorie-free or nearly calorie-free, such as black coffee, unsweetened tea, and water with lemon. You will need to avoid things like juice, soda, sweet tea, and most artificial sweeteners (stevia is fine).

Keep in mind that the goal with intermittent fasting isn’t to restrict your calories. If you cut down your calories too much, you will deprive your body of important vitamins, minerals, trace minerals, amino acids, antioxidants, and fats. You need these nutrients to get healthy and lose weight. B vitamins, in particular, are essential for weight loss.

2. Replenish fluids and Electrolytes

As you burn fat, you also lose a lot of water weight. As you lose water, you will also flush out electrolytes. For this reason, you need to continually replenish your fluids and electrolytes.

It’s best to have around two liters of water a day as you fast, along with an electrolyte supplement. You can also have a little bit of sea salt to help replenish your electrolytes. Avoid workout drinks that are filled with sugar and artificial flavors—like Gatorade.

3. Consume Apple Cider Vinegar and Lemon Juice

Lemon juice and apple cider vinegar are great to consume during your eating and windows. They will help boost the effects of intermittent fasting by supporting blood sugar levels, increasing metabolism, and aiding digestion. You can also find apple cider vinegar in capsule form if you don’t care for the taste.

4. Lower Your Carbs

If you’re not already on a low-carb ketogenic diet, you are missing out on a lot of health benefits. Carbohydrates spike your Fat Storing Hormone levels and make weight loss very difficult. However, even if you are on keto, you may be able to lower your carbohydrates even more to boost the effects of intermittent fasting.

Aim for less than 10g of net carbs a day. To get the net carbs of food, subtract the fiber from the total carbs. Keep in mind that while all vegetables contain small amounts of carbs that can add up to over 10g a day, many of these carbs are fiber. Avoid starchy vegetables, like potatoes, sweet potatoes, and corn.

5. Compound Exercises

Exercise alone will only give you about 15% of the results. However, it’s an incredible addition to help boost the effects of intermittent fasting. If you can get in at least two high-intensity exercises a week, this will really help with that back fat. Exercises that work on multiple muscle groups—also known as compound exercises—are the best for boosting intermittent fasting.

Keep in mind that overtraining can also slow down your progress. One of my patients was doing 6 hours of exercise every day, and they experienced no significant fat loss! There’s no benefit to excessive exercise. Remember to give your body plenty of time to recover.

6. Cut Down Your Fat Consumption

The last tip I have for increasing the loss of back fat is to temporarily cut back on fat consumption. While healthy fats are essential for the ketogenic diet, you also want to be able to burn the fat on your body.

If you consume too much fat (even healthy fats), your body won’t start burning your fat reserves, which include the fat stored on your back. 70 grams of fat a day is ideal for forcing your body to start burning fat reserves.


Key Takeaways

Getting rid of stubborn back fat can be incredibly frustrating. Thankfully, there are a few tricks you can use to get rid of back fat quickly and easily. The key is intermittent fasting. An 18:6 intermittent fasting plan will work for 80% of people. The other 20% will need to do 20-23 hours of intermittent fasting to get rid of back fat.

Start by skipping breakfast, consuming your first meal at 12:00 pm, and having your final meal of the day before 6:00 pm.

You can boost the effects of intermittent fasting by…

  • Consuming less than 10 carbs a day
  • Exercising
  • Decreasing fat consumption to under 70 grams
  • Drinking plenty of water, unsweet tea, and coffee to curb cravings (2 liters a day)
  • Getting plenty of electrolytes and B vitamins
  • Using apple cider vinegar and lemon juice to boost your metabolism, normalize your Fat Storing Hormone, and decrease your hunger

Give these tips a try and see if they help you rid your back fat fast.

Up Next:-

Disclaimer: Our educational content is not meant or intended for medical advice or treatment.

Editor’s Note: This post has been updated for quality and relevancy.

Healthy Keto Guide for Beginner

FREE Keto Diet Plan

Eliminate hunger & cravings for an energetic and healthy body