Keto Cajun Waffle Fries
Craving fries while on keto? This incredible Keto Cajun Waffle Fries recipe will hit the spot. It contains just 10 carbs per serving, and it’s absolutely delicious.
The secret to low-carb Cajun fries
Unlike traditional waffle fries and Cajun French fries—which are made with high-carb, starchy potatoes—this keto-friendly recipe contains only healthy, low-carb ingredients. You’ll use eggs, butter, cauliflower, and parmesan cheese as the base, and top it all off with Cajun spice.
After mixing up the ingredients, you cook these savory homemade Cajun fries in a waffle maker, avoiding the messy, hot oil traditionally used for deep-fried French fries.
Shredded cauliflower is used in place of potatoes, which gives these Cajun fries added nutrients and substantially lowers the carb count while still maintaining that crispy texture.
The Health Benefits of Cauliflower
When it comes to vegetables, cauliflower ranks at the top of the healthy food list for the keto diet.
Cauliflower is a great alternative to many favorite high-carb foods, including pizza crust, rice, potatoes, tortilla shells, and mac and cheese.
Aside from its diversity in cooking keto-friendly dishes, cauliflower is a cruciferous vegetable. This means it’s highly nutritious and low in carbs. One cup of cauliflower has just 5 grams of total carbs and 3 grams of net carbs.
Cauliflower is loaded with essential vitamins, minerals, and electrolytes. You get 85% of your daily vitamin C requirement in just a cup of cauliflower. It’s also rich in choline, which helps support liver health and brain function.
Keto Cajun Waffle Fries recipe
Time: 15 to 20 minutes
Per serving: 423 calories, 50 g protein, 10.6 g carbs, 37.6 g fat
French fry base:
2 cups cauliflower, finely shredded
1 cup fresh-grated Parmesan cheese
2 Tbsp butter, softened
Salt and pepper to taste
1 Tbsp dried oregano
½ Tbsp dried thyme
2 Tbsp kosher salt (fine grain)
2 Tbsp garlic powder
1 Tbsp onion powder
3 Tbsp smoked paprika
1 Tbsp ground cayenne pepper
1 Tbsp ground black pepper
1. Place shredded cauliflower in a large bowl.
2. Crack eggs into another bowl and whisk.
3. Add cauliflower, Parmesan, and Cajun seasoning to eggs, then salt and pepper to taste.
4. Mix all ingredients together in a small bowl.
5. Add softened butter and mix.
6. Oil waffle maker with healthy oil or butter.
7. Scoop ½ cup cauliflower batter into waffle maker for each waffle fry.
8. Cook waffles until they are crispy and golden brown. Place them on a plate lined with paper towels.
9. Sprinkle extra Cajun seasoning on top or combine it with the cauliflower batter so they’re evenly coated. You can add more than a teaspoon of seasoning to the batter if you like more Cajun flavor.
10. Cook in the waffle maker for around 4 minutes or until golden brown. Leave them on for longer if you like them extra crispy.
Tip: Dip your Cajun fries in garlic aioli, blue cheese, ranch, or your favorite keto-friendly dipping sauce.
If you are on the keto diet and you love homemade French fries and Cajun fries, this amazing Keto Cajun Waffle Fries recipe will satisfy your cravings.
With minimal prep time, you can make a keto version of Cajun fries using cauliflower instead of potatoes. Even more, cauliflower is loaded with vitamins and minerals.
Cajun seasoning is naturally keto-friendly, so it’s excellent to top your fries with.
If you deep fry your waffle fries, be sure to use a healthy oil (like avocado oil) instead of the polyunsaturated type, like soy oil.
1. Are Cajun fries keto-friendly?
No, traditional Cajun fries are made of potatoes which are loaded with starch and carbohydrates. However, you can make keto-friendly fries using cauliflower instead of potatoes.
2. How can I make keto-friendly Cajun fries?
Keto-friendly fries can be made by using cauliflower instead of potatoes. Cajun seasoning is naturally keto-friendly.
3. How many carbs are in cauliflower Cajun fries?
There are just 10.6 grams of carbs in cauliflower fries.
4. What kind of oil can I use for keto fries?
Healthy oils to use for deep frying include coconut or palm oil, avocado oil, talo, ghee, and olive oil (use olive oil at lower cooking temperatures, under 374 degrees F).
5. What is the difference between Cajun fries and regular fries?
The difference between Cajun French fries and regular French fries is the seasoning. Cajun seasoning adds a kick of spice.
6. What is Cajun spice?
It’s made using a variety of Cajun seasonings, including cayenne pepper, smoked paprika, and garlic powder.
7. How can I make homemade Cajun seasoning?
Cajun seasoning is easy to make at home. Combine ground cayenne pepper, smoked paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, dried oregano, dried thyme, salt, and ground black pepper.
8. Are Cajun fries good?
Yes! Cajun French fries are delicious if you enjoy a little bit of spice.
9. What do Cajun French fries taste like?
Cajun fries taste like Cajun seasoning, which is a mixture of spices and herbs, including cayenne pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and thyme.
10. Are French fries made with russet potatoes?
Yes, homemade French fries and frozen fries are typically made with russet potatoes. However, it’s best to make them with low-carb vegetables if you’re on keto.
Cauliflower is an excellent alternative to russet potatoes.
11. What’s a good alternative to frozen French fries on keto?
Homemade fries using cauliflower instead of potatoes—this is a great way to enjoy fries without going over your daily carb limit.
12. How can I make crispier fries?
You can make extra crispy fries by cooking them for longer or increasing the temperature of your air fryer, oil, oven, or waffle iron. Be careful not to burn them!
13. What are Cajun fries?
They are a type of seasoned fries that use a Cajun seasoning blend. Cajun fries have a slight kick because the seasoning blend includes spicy cayenne pepper.