Which is worse, sugar or wheat? The answer might surprise you!
0:10 Wheat facts
1:58 Sugar facts
3:06 Sugar vs. wheat: which is worse?
3:29 Share your success story!
In this video, we’re going to talk about sugar and wheat. Out of the two, which is more unhealthy?
Take a look at the nutrition facts of each.
• Glycemic index: 72
• Modern wheat is different than traditional wheat
• Severely modified, high-yield, and semi-dwarf
• Contains unique glutens that increase risk of celiac by 4X
• Primary starch is amylopectin A (75% of starch)
• Amylopectin A triggers small LDL and is very high on the glycemic index
• May contribute to diabetes and heart disease
• Can cause a change in bowel microbes and lead to SIBO
• Increases glycation, which is irreversible damage to proteins in the body
• High in phytates, which block iron, calcium, zinc, and magnesium
• Can contribute to nutrient deficiencies
2. Sugar (sucrose)
• Glycemic index: 59
• 50% fructose and 50% glucose
• Fructose is not taken up by all cells like glucose
• Only your liver can break down fructose
• Contributes to a fatty liver if you have insulin resistance
• Increases your risk of gout, diabetes, heart disease, and fatty liver disease
• Because it’s refined, sugar depletes potassium, calcium, vitamin C, zinc, and B vitamins
The question is, is sugar or wheat worse for your health? Both are very bad for your health. If I had to pick one, I would have to say that wheat is worse for your health. This is because wheat is high in phytates, which can cause serious nutrient deficiencies.
In summary, sugar and wheat are bad for your health. Both can contribute to insulin resistance, deplete important nutrients, and increase your risk of disease. In my opinion, wheat is slightly worse than sugar.
However, on a Healthy Keto diet, you should be avoiding both sugar and wheat. If you're new to keto, check out the other videos on my channel to learn more!