What are FODMAPs, and who should avoid them? Find out in this short video.
0:00 Introduction: FODMAPs and Irritable bowel syndrome
0:10 What are FODMAPs?
0:48 What are IBD and IBS?
1:43 Symptoms of IBS and IBD
2:37 What is the FODMAPs diet?
3:31 Share your success story!
In this video, we’re going to talk about FODMAPs in relationship to IBS and IBD.
FODMAP is an acronym for:
• Fermentable - carbs that are digested by gut bacteria
• Oligosaccharides - grains, garlic, onions, and legumes
• Disaccharides - dairy products
• Monosaccharides - fructose
• Polyols - sorbitol and mannitol
IBS stands for irritable bowel syndrome, and IBD stands for inflammatory bowel disease.
The differences between IBS and IBD are:
- With IBS, there are no ulcers or lesions. It also only occurs in the colon. Essentially, it is inflammation in the large intestine.
- With IBD, there are a group of bowel issues that causes inflammation in different parts of the gastrointestinal (GI) system.
The same things trigger both IBS and IBD:
• Omega-6 fatty acids
Symptoms of IBS and IBD include:
• Abdominal pain
FODMAPs increase gas in the GI tract, which can stretch and expand the colon. Those with IBS and IBD are very sensitive to this stretching because of inflammation.
On a low-FODMAP diet, you want to consume plenty of low-FODMAP foods and avoid all high-FODMAP foods.
High-FODMAP foods to avoid on a Healthy Keto diet: • Broccoli • Cauliflower • Asparagus • Brussels sprouts • Cabbage • Peas • Mushrooms • Onions • Shallots • Garlic • Artichokes • Okra • Beetroot • Fennel • Leeks • Fruits • Dairy products • Legumes • Grains • Starches • Sugar • Cashews • Pistachios
Low-FODMAP foods to have on a Healthy Keto diet: • Bean sprouts • Green beans • Bok choy • Bell pepper • Carrot • Herbs • Cucumber • Lettuce • Tomato • Zucchini • Eggplant • Radish • Squash • Meats • Seafood • Feta cheese • Hard cheeses • Lactose-free diary • Almond milk • Eggs • Dark chocolate • Macadamia nuts • Pumpkin seeds • Walnuts
If you do the low-FODMAPs diet and still experience gut issues, it may help to cut out all vegetables and do a carnivore diet until your gut heals.
FREE Keto Diet Plan