Find out why you get so sleepy after you eat and what to do about it.
0:00 Introduction: Do you get sleepy after you eat?
0:10 Is feeling tired after eating normal?
0:20 What causes sleepiness after eating?
0:50 Sleepiness after eating on keto
2:30 What to do if you get sleepy after eating
4:37 Share your success story!
Do you get sleepy after you eat? Let’s talk about why that is and what to do about it.
It’s important to realize that it’s not normal for you to feel tired after you eat. You’re getting fuel when you eat, so you should feel more energized. The main cause of sleepiness after eating is a high-carb diet, but what if you’re on keto?
If you’re on the keto diet but you’re still tired after you eat, there could be a few different things going on.
Causes of sleepiness after eating while doing keto:
1. Not enough hydrochloric acid in the stomach (this is usually not the big problem)
What you can do:
• Take apple cider vinegar (ACV)
• Take betaine hydrochloride when you eat
2. Your cells are not pulling in nutrients or fuel because of insulin resistance (this is probably not what’s making you tired, but it’s making you feel unsatisfied when you eat)
3. Your insulin is high (this is the real reason)
But you’re on keto, so shouldn’t your insulin be lower? Well, eating also triggers insulin. If you’ve had insulin resistance for a long time, it can take time to correct the high levels of insulin. Even if you don’t eat carbs, eating triggers insulin.
What you can do:
• Do intermittent fasting
• Keep your carbs low
• Consume a moderate amount of protein
• Give it time (it takes 1-3 months to become keto-adapted)
• Get more sleep at night (take vitamin B1 and vitamin D3 before bed)