What is the best type of exercise for recovery? Find out.
0:00 Three main types of movements
1:35 Benefits of eccentric motions
4:02 Bulletproof your immune system
Let’s talk about the best exercise for recovery.
There are three main types of movements:
1. Isometric: You’re holding a pose. You’re contracting your muscles, but you’re not lengthening or shortening the muscles.
2. Concentric: You’re shortening the muscle while contracting.
3. Eccentric: You’re lengthening the muscle while contracting.
Eccentric motions can have a lot of benefits. There are actually more benefits of eccentric motions than concentric type motions.
Benefits of eccentric motions:
• Eccentric motions may produce bigger, faster, and stronger muscles
• There’s greater force
• You’ll get the best repair possible
• Eccentric motions are more efficient (less mitochondrial adaptation)
• Eccentric motions may be good for people with sarcopenia, osteopenia, or tendon damage
• Eccentric motions may produce more metabolic rate, more improvement with inflammation, and less inflammation