Our Educational Content is Not Meant or Intended for Medical Advice or Treatment
It might look like something from space. But is it something weird and whacky, or is it a valid treatment grounded in science? I think hyperbaric oxygen therapy is an incredible therapy. It has the ability to heal tissues. It is useful for a number of chronic conditions. It can be a great anti-cancer tool. And there are many other hyperbaric oxygen therapy benefits, too.
In this article, I'll share with you how this treatment works, what it does in the body, and why you might want to consider it.
I will cover...
- What is hyperbaric oxygen therapy (or HBOT)?
- How does HBOT work?
- The major benefits of hyperbaric oxygen therapy.
- What to expect from your hyperbaric treatment.
- The bottom line.
What is hyperbaric oxygen therapy?
Hyperbaric oxygen therapy (or HBOT for short) is a very credible, thoroughly researched therapy. It is researched by the military and is widely used in hospitals. And it can even be covered by insurance.
Hyperbaric oxygen therapy involves lying in an enclosed, pressurized chamber called a hyperbaric chamber. These are sometimes referred to as hyperbaric tanks.
This pressurized environment allows concentrated oxygen to be delivered to your body. In the HBOT chamber, the air is nearly 100% oxygen.
Hyperbaric oxygen therapy can do a lot of good for your body. And so this therapy is often used in the medical world to treat a wide range of conditions. These can range from urgent problems (like decompression sickness after scuba diving) to long-term problems like wounds.
How does it work?
When you breathe normal air, you are only getting 21% oxygen. In a hyperbaric chamber, that oxygen level is raised to nearly 100%.
And because your whole body is in the chamber, the oxygen doesn't just go into your lungs. It goes right into your tissues. The oxygen goes into your blood and is carried to all of your internal organs.
The oxygen travels to areas in the body where there is not enough oxygen. That is called hypoxia. By sending oxygen to these places, HBOT helps to heal damaged tissues.
Let's dive deeper into the main hyperbaric oxygen therapy benefits.
Hyperbaric oxygen therapy benefits
Raising oxygen levels with this treatment can help heal the body in many ways.
Below are some of the top positive effects of HBOT in the body.
- Provides oxygen to hypoxic areas. Hypoxia means low oxygen. Lack of oxygen flow can happen because of trauma, infection, or any sort of problem. HBOT sends oxygen to the injured tissues so that they can heal.
- Stimulates stem cells. This therapy has the ability to stimulate stem cells by 800%. Stem cells are cells that don't yet have a purpose. They turn into different types of cells and then tissues depending on what your body needs. Promoting stem cells can provide a lot of benefit for all sorts of health problems.
- Affects DNA and genes. HBOT can impact your DNA and genes in a positive way. It does take quite a few treatments for this to happen. You may need to go about 25-30 times.
- Explodes mitochondria in tumor cells. Tumor and cancer tells use a different kind of metabolism than healthy cells do. This helps them live forever and not die. HBOT helps to stop that. And that makes it great for fighting tumors and cancer.
- Inhibiting blood flow to tumors. Angiogenesis is the formation of new blood vessels. Tumors rely on this increased blood flow for oxygen and nutrients. By blocking the blood supply, hyperbaric oxygen can help stop tumor growth.
These are just some of the reasons that HBOT can be so good for you. As you can see, it has many benefits in the body. And it can help keep you healthy.
There are many conditions that hyperbaric oxygen therapy may be useful for. HBOT can target things like:
- Heart problems.
- Decompression sickness.
- Autoimmune conditions.
- Brain injury and brain trauma.
- Carbon monoxide poisoning.
- Inflammation after injuries.
- Non-healing wounds.
There are so many good things about hyperbaric oxygen. And this tool might be well worth your while if you are looking to stay healthy. Let's take a look at what treatment is like and what to expect.
What to expect
This therapy can look a little bit like something out of a sci-fi show. With people lying in tubes, it can appear a bit whacky. But I assure you, it is not weird. It is not woo-woo. It is a real, valid treatment.
When you go to hyperbaric oxygen therapy, you'll be placed in a small chamber that fits your entire body lying down. In some cases, you might go into a larger hyperbaric room that serves many people at once. During this time, your tissues will be taking in a lot more oxygen than normal.
With hyperbaric oxygen therapy, you spend 1-2 hours in the chamber at a time. You'll likely go about 3 times per week for a few weeks.
The treatment plant with hyperbaric oxygen will vary. It will depend on your needs, your conditions, and why you are using it.
For example, you may need more if you are dealing with a lot of tissue damage in the body. It may take longer for the effects to take place. But if you are using it just for maintenance, you'll likely do fewer treatments.
To try HBOT for yourself, search for "hyperbaric oxygen therapy near me." Chat with your doctor. And see if you can get a prescription. Some people will even invest in buying or renting an HBOT unit to use in their own home. Explore your options. And find an approach that works for you and your budget.
The bottom line
I believe hyperbaric oxygen therapy to be hands down one of the best therapies out there.
HBOT is a very valid and effective treatment. It is widely studied and used in the medical world. And it can have really great benefits for the body.
This therapy targets anything from wound healing to asthma. And it can even be used if you are already healthy but just want to stay as healthy as possible.
Have you ever tried hyperbaric oxygen therapy? How did it work for you? Leave me a comment below sharing your thoughts.